Coming to ULCO to study
In order to come study in France, we suggest you have strong knowledge of the French language or possess an acceptable level of French. It is necessary that you are able to read, write and take notes in French given that all courses are taught in the language. A B2 level in the European framework in languages is required by ULCO.
For information on all the courses offered by l’Université du Littoral Côte d’Opale, visit our website.
L’Université du Littoral Côte d’Opale is a multipolar university, meaning that it is spread out in four different sites : Dunkirk, Calais, Boulogne-sur-Mer and Saint-Omer.
ULCO is not structured by Education and Research Units (UFR) the way most French universities are. Rather, it is structured by University Management Centers (CGU).
L’ULCO offers 4 educational fields :
- Arts and Languages
- Law, Economics and Management
- Social and Human Sciences
- Science & Technology, Health / Science and Techniques for Physical and Athletic Activity (STAPS)
To find out more about the university towns click on the name :
The school year begins at the start of September and ends at the end of June the following calendar year.
Exams take place in December/January for the Fall semester and in April/ May for the Spring Semester. Remedials take place in June. Certain courses schedule remedials for the end of August/beginning of September.
Courses with internships may end in October.
For more precise information, contact the educational office overseeing the course of interest.
Downloadable Document : 2018/2019 Academic calendar
|16 – 20||Very good – excellent work|
|14 – 16||Good – above average work|
|12 – 14||Fairly well – work that meets expectations|
|10 – 12||Fair – sufficient work despite errors|
|> 10||Failure – insufficient work|
In order to better prepare your budget, here is a summary monthly average budget
Housing : 350 €
Food : 300 € (1 dining hall ticket : 3.25 €)
Transportation : 50 €
Personal expenses : 100 € (Movie ticket : 7.50 €)
TOTAL: 770 € per month
You must add to this monthly budget (for the first month only) :
Registration fee : the registration fee at ULCO (including 5.10 € for healthcare) for the 2017/2018 academic year amounts to :
- For undergraduate : 189.10 €
- For Masters : 261.10 €
- For a PhD : 396.10 €
- For the School of Engineering : 615.10 €
The Student and Campus Life Contribution (CVEC) : 90 €
Contribution to mutual insurance, not mandatory but recommended (from 8.50 to 32 € per month),
The security deposit for housing (460 €)
Housing insurance (40 €)
Amount to a total of around 950 € additional that you must pay ONLY the first month.
ULCO’s university towns are easily accessible by train. Listed are the routes and rates for reference (2nd class, tarif découverte ages 12-25, SNCF website)
- Paris / Dunkirk : 2h30, from 35 to 55 euros
- Paris / Calais : 1h40, around 50 euros
- Paris / Boulogne-sur-Mer : 2h40, from 30 to 42 euros
- Paris / Saint-Omer : 2h20, from 35 to 65 euros
- Brussels / Dunkirk : 3h to 5h, around 45 euros
- Brussels / Calais : 2h30, around 45 euros
- Brussels / Boulogne-sur-Mer : 3h, from 50 to 70 euros
- Brussels / Saint-Omer : 2h10, from 25 to 40 euros
France is located in a moderate climate zone, nevertheless there are differences depending on the region.
The different ULCO sites are bordered by the North Sea and the English Channel. They are subject to humid and mild climate due to the proximity of the sea.
In Winter, temperatures are very low. From December to March, the average “f” temperature is 5°C (=41°F). We recommend that you bring warm clothing.
Effective at the start of the 2018 Academic Year
Before enrolling, you must pay the Student and Campus Life Contribution (CVEC) by connecting through the CROUS website : https://www.messervices.etudiant.gouv.fr/
The amount for the contribution is fixed for the 2018/2019 year at 90 euros (online payment).
Student that are exempted from this must follow the same steps without the payment.
At the time of your administrative enrollment, you must show – even if you are exempted- a certificate of CVEC payment.
For more information, visit the following website :
The University Service for Preventive Medicine and Promotion of Health (SUMPPS) will meet you to perform a medical check-up.
To schedule an appointment, please send an email to : firstname.lastname@example.org
If you do not have internet access you may schedule an appointment by calling: 03 28 23 71 61
You will receive an email with the notice of meeting.
The medical appointment will be scheduled to occur in the first two months after your arrival in France.
The email with the notice of meeting must be presented during enrollment at the campus where you will be completing your studies (Boulogne sur mer, Calais, Dunkirk, Longuenesse).
The day of enrollment, your student ID card will be handed to you.
To finalize your enrollment, you must attend your medical visit. The SUMPPS will give you a medical certificate.
This medical visit does not apply to students that are European Union citizens.
For more information on the admission process at l’Université du Littoral Côte d’Opale, visit Admission / Inscription.
ATTENTION : All instruction is in French.
For international students whose home country is not one where French is the official language (outside the European Economic Area), a DELF (B2 level), DALF, TCF (B2 level), or TEF (B2 level) is required.
In order to take these exams, contact the Cooperation and Cultural Affairs Department in the French Embassy of your country of origin.
TCF sessions are hosted each year at the Communauté d’Universités et d’Etablissements Lille Nord de France
For more information contact the Administrative Enrollment Office at ULCO :
Phone : +33 (0)3 28 23 73 73
E-mail : email@example.com
Effective at the start of the 2018 school year, the law of Orientation et de Réussite des Etudiants (ORE) modifies enrollment conditions for Social Security.
In order to benefit from your healthcare expenses upon your arrival to France, you must request your French social security by enrolling on the website etudiant-etranger.ameli.fr, that will be open starting September 1st, 2018.
Depending on your situation :
- Already a student in France for the 2017/2018 year : If you were a student in France in 2017/2018, subscribed to Student Social Security, you will keep social security with the Social Security paying center chosen for 2017/2018 :
You do not have to pay a new premium (217€ in 2017/2018)
Website : ameli.fr
- You arrive in France for the start of the 2018/2019 school year : If you are a foreign student and you enroll in French university for the first time, you MUST, after your enrollment to ULCO, connect to the website : etudiant-etranger.ameli.fr in order to enroll in the French Social Security, for free. This is the only procedure that will allow you to benefit from social security.
Website : ameli.fr
Click on the logo that best fits your description
The application for residence permit renewals for ULCO students (Bachelor and Master) is to be completed at the university’s Office of International Relations.
Appointments are to be made online, once enrollment at ULCO is complete, through the following link : https://rdv-ri.extranet.univ-littoral.fr/
At the end of the process, you will receive an automated email detailing the date and location for your appointment. The list of documents that must be included in your file will be attached in said email.
- You must live in the Nord (59) or Pas de Calais (62) department.
- You must not be late to the appointment that you schedule.
- In the event of something impeding your attendance to the appointment, you must inform us beforehand. As a matter of fact, your time slot may be convenient for another student.
- Your file must be complete.
- You must present the original copy of the documents as well as photocopies made before the appointment. No photocopies will be made in situ.
Information : “vouloir étudier en France” (OFII website)
Information : “étudier en France” (Ministry of Foreign Affairs Website)
Campus France’s documents :